There is something that is plaguing us. There is something that is going in our minds that is overwhelming us. There is something that seems so visible that is not letting us see beyond that could also be meaningful. And these elephants in our minds are simply there. With each passing COVID days, there are huge number of fears crossing our minds, there are serious anxieties that are bothering us and worries are bugging us on a drop of a hat. Be is businessmen or employees from across industries like travel, luxury goods, garments and utility items. Almost every one is has convinced himself that there will be huge squeeze in demand and money in hand will be very prized and would not be let gone easily.
“I am worried” said the head of operations for a luxury electrical utility maker. “The construction work will slow down, people will not be buying houses as per the projected level. The requirement of electrical switchgears will fall. And then we need to meet the targets as required by the company. It is will be a very steep walk”.
Similar worries are written across every body’s face.
- “Is my job face”
- “Will they reduce my salary” “Will I get my salary”
- “My capital is blocked, Will I be paid pack”
- “How will I pay the salaries of my staff?”
- “How will I meet the office expense”
- “What will the business scenario like?”
- “How can we make the most of the situation now and when back at the workplace?”
They are just a few. And every one is having unique fears.
Impact can be severe
At an operational level, the consequence of the elephant in the mind can be quite impactful. Besides overwhelming, it also pushes one back or one can end up being frozen in the moment. One is now in an unusual state of mind not understanding what to do or what to think. The anxiety build up puts a hold on the thinking process and one ends up struggling to find a way out or think beyond the situation. There is no doubt that this could turn out to be a costly. Cost one ultimately in terms of self-control over events in life, underperformance in the workplace and loosing out on relationships build over time. It is time to take charge
What needs to be done
- Reflects events of your life. It is time to reflect on the event that has gone by and take learnings from it. Keep questioning on what you have done so far and could it have been done better. What else can I do to make myself more effective. Explore possible answers.
- Talk to someone: However, there are times when you struggle to question yourself and find answers. The answers are limited to the realms of thought process. It is good to have a friend with whom you could discuss it out
- Get yourself a coach: However, there are limitations on discussion with friends. They may end up advising you and you may not be comfortable with it. If it is a matter of great significance, it will be great if you could hire yourself a coach. With coach around, you could talk your heart out and the coach is there listening to you, your state of mind and circumstances around you. He will help you explore the situation systematically and create enablers that will support you in exploring options that can will be comprehensive taking the ecological factors in consideration.
The elephant in the mind needs to be talked to The more you converse about the elephant, the more quickly the elephant will shrink and you will be able to observe other exciting options before you that can take you places in life. And more so during these times.